Sunday, January 23, 2022

Best Short SF, 2002-2021


Some interest was expressed in this list, so I'm posting it here on my blog. It was originally published in the January 2022 Locus, as part of a Spotlight feature on, well, me.

Here are my choices for my favorite stories I reviewed at Locus. That's essentially my "Best of the past two decades." As with all my lists, it might change if I compiled it tomorrow! Also, I limited it to one story per author. There are, thus, writers like Kelly Link who surely could have been listed two or three or four times!

- “Lull”, by Kelly Link
- “The Path of the Transgressor”, by Tom Purdom
- “The Voluntary State”, by Christopher Rowe
- “Pip and the Fairies”, by Theodora Goss
- “The House Beyond Your Sky”, by Benjamin Rosenbaum
- “Three Days of Rain”, by Holly Phillips
- “Tenbrook of Mars”, by Dean McLaughlin
- “Exhalation”, by Ted Chiang
- “Eros, Philia, Agape”, by Rachel Swirsky
- “The Maiden Flight of McCauley’s Bellerophon”, by Elizabeth Hand
- “A Small Price to Pay for Birdsong”, by K. J. Parker
- “A Guide to the Fruits of Hawai’i”, by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- “Sadness”, by Timons Esaias
- “Mutability”, by Ray Nayler
- “Everyone From Themis Sends Letters Home”, by Genevieve Valentine
- The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, by Kij Johnson
- “Empty Planets”, by Naomi Kanakia
- “An Account of the Land of Witches”, by Sofia Samatar
- “Dayenu”, by James Sallis
- “Green Glass: A Love Story”, by E. Lily Yu
- “Laws of Impermanence”, by Ken Schneyer
- “Crazy Beautiful”, by Cat Rambo
- “If the Martians Have Magic”, by P. Djeli Clark

(I limited myself to one story per author, which means I didn’t mention such other favorites such as “The Faery Handbag”, “Magic for Beginners”, “26 Monkeys, also the Abyss”, “The Sandal-Bride”, “Cimmeria: From the Journal of Imaginary Anthropology”, and some more.)

(I also feel like the incredibly prolific Robert Reed should have been mentioned -- perhaps my two favorites appeared in the same year: "Eight Episodes" and "A Billion Eves".)

1 comment:

  1. I find it incredible that Tom Purdom is still producing SF.... his first short story appeared in 1957!

    I've only read Toys (1967) -- I should track down more of his early work.

    ReplyDelete